Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mai Feiertag!

Now that I finally have a reliable internet connection (who knew that such a developed country as Germany wouldn't have internet!) I could post a little about what I've done and provide some awesome pictures as well!

I'll start with the 1st of May. May is already my favorite month, since it is my birthday, but May Day (the first of May) is a special day here, signaling the first day of beautiful Spring and it is also Father's Day, in which all men (regardless of whether or not they're actually fathers) walk around pulling a small wagon full of beer and drink all day long.
Fortunately I'm not guy, (I hate beer) and my wonderful Italian friends decided to have an old-fashioned picnic on a wonderful day! We ate and played by the river.
Although we initially wanted to go to Prague and then to Poland on our "Feiertag" weekend, we ended up staying around Marburg. Frankfurt was cheaper. We ended up going to a famous club in Frankfurt called "Cuccun" and stayed all night, until about 7:00am. I couldn't believe it when we walked outside the club to go to the Strassenbahn that it was bright daylight!

(My friend Helena from Greece and Sarina from Washington-the state not D.C.)







And for an even better end to an expected boring weekend, we decided to
head to Kassel, which is only about an hour away by train and visit Herkules, the BergGarten, essentially a massive (but gorgeous) garden with a few castles to spare. It is called Herkules I believe because there so many damn steps to the top of it!

The Grimm brothers actually
ended their Fairytale road in Kassel . . . maybe that's why is was so dreamlike. Lot's of pictures of course of the garden.


And also s
ome of the nasty Swans that try to bite your fingers off!






But the stairs were a good workout and and the view even more incredible!

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Evil swans? Haha...we have greedy pigeons. And moody ducks.

European birds are just a little too full of themselves. I plan to punt a pigeon and take their egos down a notch.